Sunday, March 22, 2015

There was a bit of a debacle down here in NC.

Sun, 3/22—


I didn't get a chance to run today.   
There was a bit of a debacle down here in NC.  I'll get over it.  But the bottom line is that, as a relay-only runner, I needed to be registered as such to receive a bib and be eligible to compete.  I did my due diligence by 1) letting everyone know that I was available and then by 2) following up with a confirming email. Despite the fact that my intent to race was confirmed with the crew multiple times, I was never registered as being part of the relay pool, not even as an alternate.  Oh well!

Not sure why no one registered me, which is the issue here.  I had no bib because my name wasn't placed on the relay entry form but should have been.  I guess no one read beyond the first couple of lines under Relay Information.  Oh well.  Maybe next time...


Relay info from website:



Eligibility: Only athletes entered in the meet (who have been assigned a bib number) are eligible to compete on a relay team.

If an athlete is solely competing in a relay, they must submit a paper entry form.



Types of Relays:


Club Relays – a relay team comprised of all athletes who are affiliated with the same club (as determined by the USATF membership database) at the time of the close of the event entry deadline.


Non-Club Relays – a relay team not meeting the definition of a Club Relay (see above).



Entry Fee: $40/relay (to be paid on site at Packet Pick-up)



Relay Entry Deadline: Relay entry forms are to be submitted to Packet Pick-up before the completion of running competition, the day prior to the relay event. Entry forms will not be accepted the day of the relay event.

So...The problem wasn't my not registering for a solo event; the issue was not being place on the relay paper entry form.

That said, I am proud of my teammates, who ran a good race.  I am particularly happy for Rob; he ran a gutsy race and landed a great time!  Hats off to John Curtis for a strong fifth race and to Daryl and Phil for solid performances.

John Curtis-56.8
Daryl--58.4
Rob-56.4
Phil-60.9

3:52.71

Sat, 3/21-visited Wake Forest with Bria in the morning and competed in Nationals in the afternoon.

When I offered to compete, I assumed we'd be running in the M40 race.  When I showed, I learned that there was no bib for me and that I had to use Chuck Kruelle's.  He is M45.  What's more, in the paddock area, the official who checked up in had Phil down as the second runner.  He asked whose place I (aka Chuck K.) was taking and, looking at his roster, I said Phil.  So, in truth, I was asked to impersonate and sub in as an alternate!  The age group on our bibs (50, 45, 45, 45) would have contradicted the M40 age group.

We were in heat 4, lane 2.  John led off well in 24.9/25.0, giving me a lead at the handoff.  I faltered on the exchange a bit, but then I quickly recovered.  I rounded the curve in my lane and then cut in at the beginning of the backstretch. After a 25.0/25.1, I handed Rob the baton.  He powered his way to 26.2/26.3.  Daryl grabbed the stick and hammered it home in 25.3/25.4, pursued by someone on his tail.  The final time was 1:41.5...1:41.72 FAT.  New Club record.


Fri, 3/20-visited UVa with Bria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment