Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Syracuse Festival of Races

Tuesday, 10/2--Today's workout was one of two choices: 3x1.5M with a 400m rest (or was it 200m?) OR 3x1200, 100m jog, then hard 400, followed by 300m jog.  I opted for the latter.  My hamstring was bothering me, on account of the driving I did this past weekend right after competing, followed by yardwork when I got home.  I ran alone, as the strongest runners did the former workout or some derivation thereof.  I did not feel sharp, but I didn't feel awful either--just tight. 

My runs:
4:32/83
4:21/79
4:18/76

Monday, 10/1--Early morning recovery run of 5.1M in 39:40.

Sunday, 9/30--A few weeks ago, I decided that I would join my team in Syracuse for the Festival of Races.  This would be my first time, but hopefully not my last.  I was inspired by others but rather underwhelmed with myself. 

DJ and I visited Colgate the day before (I figured I'd incoporate the trip into mine to Syracuse), and drove an hour to Syracuse afterwards. 

After a rocky start to the morning, we arrived at the start of the course with more than an hour to spare.  A couple of the guys piled into my minivan.  I warmed up with Chuck and another teammate and began my stretching routine.  My tense, tight legs managed to become limber and loose in a matter of minutes.  Once at the line, I could see how fit and ready everyone was.  The race was real.  And then the gun went off.  Some guys shot out of the cannon, gunpowder at their backs and in my face no less. 

I remember hitting the 1K mark in 3:20-something and definitely reached the mile mark at 5:33.  I was behind my pace for the day's race, but I was ahead of where I was at this point for Teri's Run a few weeks ago.  I felt good, although DJ told me that I looked like I was way in the back.  Go figure.  At the turnaround point, I tried to extend my stride a little.  I knew I was decelerating, but I was trying to fight it.  I heard 11:20 at the 2-mile mark.  It was official--I was certainly off-pace...and by quite a bit.  I tried to--and this the humbling part--to stay with the guy next to me whose singlet indicated that he was in the 50-55 year old group.  He eventually dropped me.  I did battle it out with another guy from this age group, and I prevailed.  With 5 minutes to go in the race, I knew that my energy was waning fast.  I was depleted and just wanted to finish the dame race.  With a quarter-mile to go I could feel the slight uphill buckle my quads. 

I tried to push towards the line, hearing many footsteps behind me chomping at the bit.  I ran 17:59, which pales in comparison to the 41-year old man who won in 14:25.  No less impressive was the female race, which was won in 16:50 by a 41-year old.  An 88-year old man won his age group and set a world record in 26:00+.  There were so many amazing times posted by masters folks that I was in awe.  DJ was even more absorbed.  I will be referring to the leader board for some time to come.  I was moved.

Little did I know that a flip of the coin would put me on the A-team (since Gene and I had posted the exact same time for our most recent 5K).  Gene would finished a mere 5 seconds behind me.  Something tells me our fitness levels are about equal!  Either that or we both had off-races, "good" off or "bad" off.  Honestly, i was hoping to run 17:30.  I suppose it would help if I did more long runs and did the Tuesday workout with some heart.

It was also great to see the team be all together, too.  I believe there were 13 of us there.  I plan to give it a shot next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment