Friday, September 28, 2012

Festival of Races

Fri, 9/28--took the day off.  Tomorrow I will make my way to Colgate University with my son, who will be applying there.  After our visit we will head to Syracuse and meet up with my teammates.  Sunday is the 5K...Festival of Races.

Thurs, 9/27--Rain!  Lightning!  Thunder!  I made my way to the country club and met up with 20 other running enthusiasts.  Seeing the lightning in the distance and in the direction of our run, we decided to do the 7.9M in the opposite direction.  Despite having 2 minutes to stretch beforehand, I felt sluggish from the outset.  Making things worse was the lightning, which could be seen in front of us and off to either side.  Needless to say, I was off kilter.  By the time I got to the 3M mark, I had decided that I would peel off once we approached Henderson High School.  And I did...at the 3.8-3.85 mark (27:20); I had been averaging 7:06 pace.  The other guys were about 4-5 seconds ahead of me, so they scarcely noticed my re-route.  I made my way back to the country club, somewhat fearing for my life as the lightning spidered across the dark, loud sky. I was thankful to make it to my car and to be out of that mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment