Thursday, October 25, 2012

Could there be a distance runner in me somewhere?

10/25--

I overslept today, but still managed to get to Ashbridge & New Streets in time enough.  I debated whether I was going to make a go of it, and decided that I needed to if I am going to have any shot at getting better!  I actually arrived in time enough to stretch for 1 minute.  Just as the crew was about to pull off, I heard someone mention that the top group would be doing the 7.9M at marathon pace, which meant 6:40 per mile.  My gut reaction was to tighten my shoe laces, as my feet felt like they were swimming in my shoes.  (Most of the time I simply slide my feet into my already-tied shoes.)  By the time I started, the group of nearly 20 had gapped me by 50 meters and the top group of 6 or 7 by even more.  I blew by the dozen or so by the first quarter-mile and spent the remaining run trying to catch the top group, or more accurately, trying not fall too far behind. 

I reached the legitimate 4M mark (where the larger, ground-size planter is) in about 26:20.  This was 6:35 pace.  Not bad!  The group was more than .1M ahead of me, though. I kept digging, trying not to get discouraged that I wasn't cutting into the group's lead.  My legs were certainly weakening and were jello by the time I reached the big hill.  Actually, by that point, which is the 8th mile, I had make up substantial ground, cutting the distance in half.  In fact, I finished within 10 seconds of the group.  Those cats finished in 52:27, I overhead Manion say, and I finished in 52:35.  This was my most impressive 7.9M by far.  6:39+ pace!  I remember way back when I struggled to finish this route, let alone in sub-7:00 pace. I am indeed pleased and couldn't be happier that I rushed to get to the country club parking lot by 5:40AM.

Could there be a distance runner in me somewhere?  Come out, come out wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment