Sunday, September 9, 2012

Commit to the race

Saturday, 9/8--went to the Y.  Alternated between running on the "donut" (16 laps/mile) and lifting.  6:35, lifted, 6:28, lifted, 6:23.  Felt pretty good after Friday's 5K.
Friday, 9/7--Teri's Run. Scheduled for 7 PM on a Friday night, this is always a fun run with a family atmosphere...in the Downingtown, PA spirit. DJ and I got there at a bit after 6:00.  My buddy Justin must've decided to bag it; he was a no-show.  We warmed up a loop around the course and began stretching. For whatever reason, I felt a bit more limber than I have felt recently.  At any rate, we made our way to the starting line when it was time. Before I knew it, the gun was off. I felt balanced and steady over the first mile.  Rachel caught up and passed me at a 1000 meters or so.  I figured I'd stay within a few meters of her.  She hit the mile at 5:39/40; I crossed it at 5:41/42.  Last year I hit 5:39, and I was not pleased.  This year, however, I was okay with that time, given my lesser fitness level.  I felt comfortable.  I found myself easing into the pace but not being overly aggressive or aggressive at all actually. The ugly thoughts that normally shade my thinking weren't present.  Like last year, I got to the turnaround point--halfway--at 8:50.  Eventually, I saw 14:00 on my watch, and then I decided to start pushing a bit more.  I was afraid that I wouldn't crack 18:00.  A young woman tried to hang onto me.  I was not going to let her get me.  I went to my arms and pulled ahead.  I wish I had pushed earlier.  I had more in me than the 17:59 I ran.  What was initially a run I did not feel like doing became perhaps one of the easier 5Ks I had ever run.  Once the top 10 had been accounted for, I wound up getting second among the master's runners.  (Technically, one of the master's runners was among the top 10.  The other two of us got age-group awards.)  $50 bucks is $50 bucks.  In the absence of the humidity I think I could have run in the low 17:00-range.  I got 17th last year with a faster time and 18th this year. My lesson: commit to the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment