Sunday, March 25, 2012

The indoor season is officially over

Sunday--

Well, the indoor season is officially over. Despite the fact that I did not accomplish my goals, I am hopeful that the outdoor season will be a good one.

Today, Mid-Atlantic Championship meet was held at the University of Delaware. Unlike last year when my focus was incisively the 800, this year I decided to branch out a bit by competing in the 60, 800, and 200, which immediately followed the 800. Despite the gold I received in each of my events for my age group, I am neither cocky nor confident. First, I know I was disappointed that there wasn't a stronger showing in the 800 to buoy my efforts. Second, I have plenty of work to do...and I need a greater, more singular focus; I have to stop trying running 60s and 6-milers.  It's challenging to get better without a sharp, distinct focus.

I arrived at the venue before it began, as the 60 was the second event. I warmed up well and felt pretty good. I was assigned heat 9, lane 7. I got out of the blocks as well as I could have, considering I don't use blocks in practice or practice starts for that matter. Anyway, I finished 2nd in my race (7.91 F.A.T.), but earned gold because the first place finisher is not a member of Mid-Atlantic. Aha!

The 800 was a replay of the one I ran at Widener. I knew going into the race that the competition was absent, that the race for me would be a time trial of the sort. Boy was I right. Although I led the race from start to finish and won by over 15 seconds, I was underwhelmed with my performance, as I was still hoping to run a second per lap faster. Too ambitious? Perhaps. My splits were 31,63(32),1:36(33) and 2:10.23(34). At least I got slower in a rather orderly fashion! There's always a bright side, you know.

Finally, the 200 came...and went. Despite the relatively little rest I enjoyed, I decided to give the 200 a whirl. I was in lane heat 6, lane 3. Craig had succomb to a groin injury and pulled out (no pun intended). There was no one in lane 4, Lonnie Hooker (I think) in lane 5, and another guy in lane 6. The gun went off, and Lonnie was gone. Had I been in lane 4, I would have had a better showing. I would've lost anyway, but a better showing would have been in the cards. Also, had I bagged the 800, which I almost did in favor of putting all of my energy in the 200, I think I would've run up to a second faster. However, I am glad I did the 200 to cap off a 3-event day. I strided to a 25.57, while Lonnie sped to a 23.81! Scintillating, I know! The guy in lane 6 managed 27 and change.

I need to get my mind and body set for my first outdoor meet, which will be held at Widener next weekend. Here we go. Penn is a cool month away.

No comments:

Post a Comment