Sunday, February 28, 2010

These conditions did not deter me

2-28-10--
As I mentioned a couple of days ago, my plan for Saturday was to head to Swarthmore to run some 200s. When I got there at about 12:45 I was concerned about whether I'd be able to use the indoor track; the baseball team was practicing on the infield and members of the men's and women's lacrosse teams trickled in and began to do warm-up catches on the track as I ran by. As I stretched, the baseball team looked to be finishing up and th women's lacrosse team made its way outdoors. The men's LAX team did not show up in full, and those who were there moved into the infield to throw. Just when I thought the coast was clear, a professor and his kids began to throw the baseball on the track. Soon, they, too, moved into the infield. I would have to share the track with those remaining--an older gentleman jogging and a three-some doing back and forth strides on one of the straightaways.

These conditions did not deter me from what would be a fairly good workout. After warming up 1.2, I decided my plan was 15 200s--3 sets of 5. The first set would be 31/32, the second set would be 30/31, and the third set would be 29/30. Between each repeat, I'd walk about 100 and jog about 100. I would take 2 minutes between each repeat and three minutes between each set.

My first set: 30,32,32,31,31
3-minute rest
My second set: 30,31,31,30,30
this period of rest would up being 5 minutes. I switched out my middle distance spikes for my sprint spikes, which took longer than expected.
My third set: I ran 28, but then got concerned because my hamstring stiffened. I decided to cut of the tight turns and did 6x60s, using just the straightaways. I did 60 meters, then jogged the turn, did 60 meters on the opposite straightaway, then jogged a lap. I did this three times for a total of 6 60s at 8 seconds each. I then returned to my 200s. I ran three more 200s, all at 29s. I then cooled down 1.0.

Total: 4.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment