Monday, July 20, 2009

Underestimating and Overestimating

This morning, I am down again. The most I can manage right now are some toe curls with a towel. My Achilles is really acting up. I guess I pushed beyond a healthy threshhold on Saturday after all. This really has been a wasted spring-summer season; injuries tend to have this sort of impact.

Sunday

Today I am not in good condition. If I had any doubt that yesterday's slim workout wouldn't take its toll, I was dead wrong. I wound up driving to the gym to lift--upper and lower body. I was supposed to run there of course. Just to think--I haven't clocked my lately...because I would be depressed to see the drop in miles over that last couple of weeks...and ultimately last few months. I may wind up calling the season a wash, accept my losses and get ready for a few 5Ks in the fall, before getting ready for the winter season.

Saturday

I decided to finish some unfinished business from earlier this week by returning to pick-up reps:
8x 400m @ 70 w/2-minute intervals and #s 2,5,8 @ 63. I had my son with me. His job was to hit the same splits but from the 300 mark. This ultimately wound up being too easy for him; he was hitting a range of :63-:54 instead of :70 and :63. Eventually, I had him run from 350 meters, which turned out to be appropriate. I had obviously underestimated what he could do...even relatively out of shape.

After a mile warm-up, stretches and some drills, I hit the first 400 in :70. The rest were: :63, :70, :70, :66. My Achilles started to flare up. I rested for about 7 minutes and then decided to run one more, a :63. Cooled down a mile. I was in pain. I had overestimated what I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment