Thursday, July 9, 2009

Relatively Easy and Runner's ADD

This morning I made my way to Conestoga's track to do a few 300s. Actually, I had planned to do 3 400s but I was running short on time. The idea was to do them at the pace I would otherwise have done the 400s in--60 or better. I ran :44, :43, and :42. I gave myself plenty of rest: 7 1/2 minutes to simulate the 10 minutes of rest I would have had had I done 400s. Overall, a good workout, albeit brief and relatively easy. Total: 2.5 miles

Tonight I went to Westtown's track to meet a crew of runners I usually see on Tuesday morn. There was one problem: none of them were really there. Instead there were a few women, a few girls and two guys, one of whom was the facilitator. The other was a guy training for a marathon. I joined him for a tempo run, after warming up a mile. I did 400s in between 81 and 83 seconds, with a 200 meter/1 minute jog/rest. Cooled down a mile. 3.5 miles total.

Wednesday I took off the morning but ran 3 miles or so in the evening. My son and daughter (by bike) joined me, which was fun. Easy 8 minute plus place.

Well, I decided to try my luck at a 5K on Tuesday night at Westtown School. I knew that my foot wasn't feeling all that well, but I said I'd go through with it anyway since the vast majority of the course was on grass--thicker grass at that--which could serve as a cushion. I would be conservative during the race and see if I could maintain 6:00-6:15 mile pcae, which I did. I ran 19:26, which is more than 2 minutes off where I was just three months ago. The course was much more difficult and hilly, I'm less in shape, and I'm injured--all three very impressive excuses. Another issue is my focus. I've run from the 400 to the 5K, and it's hard to do well at either of these extremes. Well, perhaps you can if you're an elite runner, but I am not! I need to commit to a smaller range of distance or accept that my lot that my performance at either end--and all in-between--will suffer. Runner's ADD?!

No comments:

Post a Comment