Sunday, April 6, 2014

Millersville Metrics...They made my day

Sunday--Did a recovery run of 4.8M on the XC course.  37:15.

:30 (.05) to get to the course
12:40 (13:10)--loop 1 (1.57M)
12:00 (25:10)--loop 2 (1.57M)
11:50 (37:00)--loop 3 (1.57M)
:25 (.05) to get back to the back of my driveway

4.8M

Later in the day, I went to the Y with my wife for another mile and upper body work.

5.8M

April 6, 2014

Millersville Metrics.

I left home at 8:45 and arrived at 10:00 for an 11:15 race.  I warmed up a bit on this windy, barely 50-degree morning.  To keep warm, I spent a fair amount of time in and out of the bathroom where there was a warm vent.  

I checked in at about 10:30 and learned that I was assigned heat 12, lane 5.  I did a number of strides and 30-meter dashes on the opposite side of the track, joining a number of other guys.  I was disturbed by a group from the stands whom I scarcely heard say something along the lines that "an old man was out there joining in."   Although I felt a little self-conscious as a result of their heckling, I would not let them deter me.  

I specifically returned to the space under the stands for a little heat and protection from the elements.  By the time I made my way to the starting line, the 8th heat was up on the line.  I began to get myself together, mindful that I had but a few minutes until showtime.  I took off some of my gear during the 10th heat and the rest of the gear during the 11th heat.  My heat was now on deck.

I set my blocks and practiced a couple of starts. 
Setting my blocks
Setting my blocks still
Me after a practice start

I was ready.  The gun went off.  My start was okay, but I came up too soon. Start of the 100m Millersville 

I had some decent lift, but not quite what I was hoping for entirely.  I finished a close 5th in my heat of 7.  12.10.  Not the 11.99 I was hoping for, but I'll take it for now as a new club record.  I placed 76th out of the 109 entrants.

100 meters Millersville

I hemmed and hawed about whether I was going to do another event.  The wind was discouraging.  I knew that I didn't really want to run laps in it.  Soon after the race, I left Millersville to drive up to The Hill School in Pottstown 80 minutes away to see my daughter compete in the 4x100 and 4x200.  Once I saw how quickly her meet was progressing, I figured I might have a shot at returning to Millersville to race in the 200.  Remembering that I had bumped into Phil Reilly at the meet, I hit up my teammates for his number and gave him a call. He agreed to check me in for the 200.  He did, but heat and lane assignments would be assigned later, just before the race.  I drove back to Millersville, my legs stiffening with every mile.    


I warmed up when I arrived.  I felt stiff, especially in, well, the gluteus.  I learned that I would be in heat 8, lane 3.  Not bad, I thought.  I got out reasonably well, thinking that I was eating into the stagger of the guy in lane 4.  Not.  Actually, the guy to my inside was eating into mine.  Coming off the turn and into the straightway, I could feel the wind smack me right in the face.  My 24.76 showed as much.  (If the wind registered as a tailwind, I'm not sure how!)  73rd out of 94 runners.  

Marquis Weeks and Dante Coles

I bumped into Marquis Weeks and Dante Coles while I was at the meet.  It was great seeing these two guys I coached when I was a teacher at Conestoga HS in the 1990s and in my 20s.  In some ways, it seems so long ago; in other ways, it seems like yesterday.  Of course, I've seen these guys often over the years, especially Dante, but I had not been in the "track competition environment" together with the two of them in some time.  I still remember when they were on my team and just learning how to run...well.  They had good ability, but I needed to hone their skills.  The honing led to a 42.64 4x100 and sub 11-second 100 meter and low 22-second 200 meter times for both of them.  Marquis would split 48-something in the 4x400 and Dante would jump 21 feet.  Marquis would make his way to UVa and to the NFL.  Beyond their athleticism, they are great guys with big hearts.  I really appreciated seeing them and was moved by the kind things they--and others--said about me on Facebook.  They made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment