Sunday, February 26, 2012

I am ready to crack 2:05

Sunday, 2/26--

Widener U. I decided to make my way to Chester, PA to take a shot at the 800m, a 5-lapper on Widener's track. I got there at 9:45, early enough to have a good warm-up and stretch. I wouldn't run until a little over an hour later.

I had decided well in advance of the meet that I would try to stick to 25 seconds per lap, which would take me to 2:05. Wishful thinking on this track, I know. It's nice to wish, though. Given that I was seeded first with a mark of 2:10, I knew that 2:05 would likely be out of reach.

When the gun went off, I shot out and established presence. I wore my watch so that I could try to monitor my pace. I saw :24 at lap 1, :49 at lap 2--:25, 1:15 at lap 3--:26. (I heard about "63 at the quarter.) I did not catch my time at lap 4, but I knew I had slowed down. That didn't matter, as I felt smooth...the whole way. I ran the last lap with a bit of relaxed confidence, as I ended in 2:10, from what Cherly Bellaire told me. I had won by 10 seconds, I think.

I broke into a jog and cooled down. I was pleased. I think I could have gone 2:07-2:08 on a better track today...even if I were 10 seconds in the lead. That said, I am ready to crack 2:05. I have some work to do, though, between now and the Mid-Atlantic Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment