Friday, October 22, 2010

I have been doing some thinking

Friday, 10-22-10--

Simple 2.2 mile run in 17:25 to get the legs awake.

On tap for Saturday--9 mile run (to and from PO, circuitous route.)

On tap for Sunday--

3 X 3 X 4 (3 SETS OF 3 X 400M)
This first workout is performed five to six days before your race. Here's how it flows:

SET 1

Run 3 x 400m repeats at your goal 5K pace with 100m jog between. Jog 400m after the third repetition and before starting the second set.

Example: For a 17:00 5K (5:28 per mile), the goal would be 82 seconds per 400m.

SET 2

Run 3 x 400m repeats at 2-3 seconds faster per 400m than your goal 5K pace with 200m jog between. Jog 400m after the third repetition before the final set.

Example: For a 17:00 5K (5:28 per mile), the goal would be 79-80 seconds per 400m.

SET 3

Run 3 x 400m repeats at 4-6 seconds faster per 400m than your goal 5K pace with 400m jog between each repetition.

Example: For a 17:00 5K (5:28 per mile), the goal would be 76-78 seconds per 400m.

"This workout accomplishes much, yet leaves you refreshed and excited to race. The first set helps you dial in race pace from the start, something that will be important come race day. The slight pace increases in sets two and three help the mind and the body prepare for the increasing effort level required as you pass through miles 1 and 2 of the 5K.

"While the pace is increasing with each set, you'll notice that the recovery interval between each repeat is also increasing. This workout is not designed to cause undue fatigue. Adding the longer recovery intervals as the pace increases keeps the stress level to a minimum. After all, you are running fast only for just over 2 miles so the total volume is very tolerable."


I have been doing some thinking. One thing that I may need to work on in the race prep routine is warming up, particularly before a 5K. While I warm up and stretch fairly well, I do not spend a whole lot of time keeping my heart and breathing elevated. Fearing that I will expend too much energy, I normally go into relaxation mode within minutes of the race, but perhaps I let my body get too relaxed. I do my share of strides and run-outs, but maybe they aren't enough.

In the near future, I will try a low to moderate jog of 10-15 minutes 45 minutes before the race, followed by 10 minutes of stretching. I will then do several pick-ups at race pace and even 6-8 x100 meter strides. I will then stretch some more, don my racing flats, and jog a bit more. With a few minutes to go--even at the start line--I will do a few high knees, jumps, etc. to keep my heart rate up, make my oxygen circulate, and stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment