Monday, April 19, 2010

Muzzy Run and working out the kinks

In order to work out the kinks, today I did a recovery run of 5 miles.
.5-3:55
1.0-8:00 (4:05)
2.0-16:00 (8:00)
2.2-17:35
2.7-21:25
3.2--25:20
4.2-32:55 (7:35 mile)
4.4-34:25 (15:50--Rustin loop 2)
5.0-38:50

About 7:45 mile pace.

Yesterday, 4/18/10

I did my first 5K of the year--the Terry Muzzy Run, a memorial run for a man whom I didn't know but who gave his all to the kids of Downingtown High School West and East Campuses.

My son and I got to the Struble Trail at about 7:30 for the 8:00 start. It was quite cool--38 degrees or so but sunny. We were able to warm up right away since we were pre-registered and has already received our numbers and t-shirts, a 5K fundraising staple. We ran about a 1/2 mile into the trail and back for a total of a 1-mile warm-up. We stretched for a bit while we chatted. My wife and daughter showed up and before you knew it we were at the line ready to go. Despite the cool temp, I ran in shorts and my Ches County Running Store shirt, but I had my favorite, though worn out, UnderArmor gloves. At the siren, I led the run, figuring that my goal was to run an even race and take it easy a bit, knowing this was my first race in a while following recent injuries. I tried not to be too mindful of my injuries and such. Running very relaxed, I hit the first mile in 6:05, the second mile in 12:05, and finished in 18:50 or so. Not a fast time, but I felt good, leading wire to wire and without paining myself. Incidentally, I wondered whether the course was long. As it turns out, it was long by .1. That said, my 3.1 time was probably about 18:20, with mile splits of about 5:55. This pales in comparison to last year's 17:16, but that's okay. Last year, I had two guys who pulled me along to the time. It was a fun, low pressure race. I cooled down about .3 mile immediately after the race, as I had a 9:00 engagement (Alumni Council session) in Swarthmore.

After my 9-11:30 session at Swarthmore, I dashed to my daughter's soccer game in Chadds Ford area. I had baton practice for Penn Relays in Northeast Phila at 2:00, so I left her game immediately after it concluded at 1:10, then got to NE Phila at about 2:10. I cannot believe I made that trek in an hour! Unfortunately, when I arrived only Chuck and newcomer to the relay, TJ, were there. I was a little disappointed as I had burned rubber to be on time, feeling badly that I was 10 minutes late, only to find that others were missing. Chuck, TJ and I chatted for a while, then warm-up a mile and stretched. Chuck also placed some calls to get the other cats there! The other guys finally arrived. TJ and I were able to do some drill as we waited for the guys to warm up.

We finally got started with some handoffs after deciding the relay order for Penn. I would run second, TJ would run first, Daryll would run third and another guy (newcomer) whose name escapes me would run fourth. TJ and I did several handoffs, before Daryll and I practiced. We set up multiple passing configurations. I'd say I received the baton 6 times and gave it 6 times. We cooled down and had a brief meeting to review some logistics.

About 6 miles today. Long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment