Friday, June 26, 2009

Can this be a comeback?

This morning I decided to try my luck at Westtown School's new track. I got out of the mini-van and just walked up the brief hill to lane 6. No steps to negotiate, no gates to traverse.

As I warmed up a mile, I inhaled the scene. There's something about running on a new track: a feeling of possibility and a look of undisturbed poise that are sometimes hard to come by on old ones. Don't get me wrong: I appreciate the oldies but goodies, but running on a new track can be quite a treat. Westtown's track favors the character and temperament of its namesake: the track is unpretentious and rather plain with its 6 lanes. There are no extra markings, no distinguishing color schemes. Unlike most tracks I've encountered, Westtown's is simple and unencumbered by imprisoning fencing or overbearing stands. Instead, the track is open, surrounded on one side by a comtemporary house tucked away in woods, on another side by a rustic structure that seems to serve as a canoe house for the Westtown Lake. The other two sides--an ample field house and an expansive parking lot--are far less bucolic and typify the sometimes awkward, inherent tension between progress and nature. Both structures are inevitable and, perhaps more importantly, necessary on a campus--in a world--where practical realities are part of the bottom line.

As I warmed up, I got my mind cued into what I had hoped would be a confidence booster of a workout. To be sure, I did not know just how difficult the workout would be. I figured it would be short, though. I gave my legs a pretty good stretch. Even though my hamstrings were not at their best, I told myself that I would go through with the 3 400s @ 60 seconds with a 10-minute recovery that I had on tap.

Here they are in review:
First 400: Started well, but felt a little rusty. 30 seconds at the 200. Pressed a little during the last 100. Time: 61.

Walked 800 in 10 minutes.

Second 400: Knew that I was not accustomed to so much rest, especially walking. I got out well again, feeling more settled. 29 seconds at the 200. Relaxed and lengthened my stride during the last 100. Time: 60

Walked 800 in 10 minutes, thinking about how I would approach the last 400. I decided that I wanted to run 59 seconds without pressing too much. I also realized that the workout did not seem that bad at it, that it felt like a medium workout and a far cry from some of the other ones I'd done this past spring. For the same reason, I also decided that this sort of workout would work best in the early morning since it was sufficiently challenging and fast--two characteristics that are important when I'm running 5:30 or 5:45 AM and have to finish the whole workout (including cool down) by 6:30.

Third 400: After walking for 10 minutes, I felt well rest, compared to how I normally feel when I'm doing interval training. I tried to simulate the sort of cadence I demonstrate when running an 800 race. I then imagined what it would feel like to have a monster kick. I hit the 200 in 29 seconds and got good leg lift during the homestretch. I felt pretty strong and was pleased with my time: 58 seconds.

If only there could be days like this every day. I cooled down a mile and went home pensive, much of my mood tempered by the untimely death of pop superstar--and once one of my idols--Michael Jackson. For some strange or not so strange reason, I imagined that Michael would live forever, much like characters like Peter Pan, who never grew up or old. At the same time, though, I knew that his life's ending would imitate the drama and seeming demise of his career. There is so much I could say but I will reserve it for perhaps another time.

Today's total: 2.75 miles

I will get in a quick run tomorrow before heaing to Arizona, where I hope to get some distance, hills and lifting in. No coyotes please! I just hope I do not curb the momentum I am getting through my interval training.

No comments:

Post a Comment