Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another one bites the dust

Today I ran 5 miles/40 minutes, making my way to Westtown School's XC course and doing part of it before heading back home. I felt a little sluggish but okay overall.

Yesterday, I took the morning off so that I would be fresh for the meet at Plymouth-Whitemarsh in the evening. I actually wanted to do the 100 for fun (and later the 400 or 800), but I got a late start from work, got lost (I always make the wrong damn turn when I get in the area!) and arrived in the middle of the sprint hurdles event. I figured that I would not have sufficient time to warm up, and I didn't want to risk injury. So, I jogged around, thinking about whether I wanted to do 400 and 200 or simply an 800. After getting a feel for my running mood, I decided on the 800. I also knew that Phil from TNT would be in the race and that maybe I could pace off him. Boy was I wrong.! He went out in about 58 seconds compared to my 61, and he wound up running 1:59 and change compared to my 2:07 (61/66). I felt a lot better this time than I did for my previous 800 at Henderson. My breathing was better, as was my time. I could not get good lift coming down the homestretch, though. I did not feel strong during the race at all; I felt like I was just there muddling along. I definitely felt a bit tentative during the first lap. In fact, I did not get out well at all. I let five guys go right in front of me, and I hung back with three others, one of whom caught me at the line and one of whom dropped out of the race.

I still need to figure out what I am/am not doing. I may do a harder workout tomorrow since I probably won't have time on Saturday before we head out to Arizona. My plan is to do some distance and find a good hill to kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment