Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mind, body, doubt

Since I lifted yesterday, I figured I'd do a track workout today. I drove to Penncrest only to find that the track was still sole- to-ankle-deep in snow. So I made my way back to Rustin's stadium parking lot. I warmed up about a mile using the parking lot, which I think is about 300 meters in perimeter. I stretched. I then ran the street (slightly downhill) for a 300 meter repeat workout. My times were 50,50, 49, 49, 49, 49, 47. After each repeat, I jogged 300 to the start. A there-and-back workout. Cooled down .5 mile. Total: 3.75 miles

Even though today was a little lame, I made the most of it.

It's funny. There comes that times, just days before a meet, when I begin to tell myself that my legs are feeling a little tight, that my arms feel a little weak, that the warm-up was actually taxing, that my body's a little tired. This all part of the spirit and body over mind--the seismic battle within human nature. There is inevitably some part of the mind that thinks tyranny is the answer! I cannot imagine that a day does not go by when I do not experience some feelings of self-doubt--it could on the job, with my kids, with myself. I guess that's part of human nature as well. Self-doubt has to be managed effectively, though, like a yard dog should. Or else it will drive you absolutely nuts and paralyze you until your confidence erodes like a beach after a bad storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment