Sunday, March 8, 2009

Let's Get the Job Done

It's a cloudy Sunday morning, and I am sitting in the sunroom with a cup of joe. I've read it's not such a good idea to have too much of it on race day, but I got to have just one cup! Today we're at Ursinus College for the masters regional championship meet. Even though it's been a so-so week of training (due to weather constraints), I am hoping to unleash something in the sub 2:05 range. For me, that means a solid 60 sec 400 (29/31) and a solid :64 or better (31/32). If I am asked to run a relay--and I'd prefer 4x400 despite the horrific December mishap--I am hoping for a :53/:54 leg. My 150s have been in the :19 and :20 range. Double that for 300m and you get about :39-:40. Take 2/3 of :19-:20 for the last 100 and that gives you an additional :14 seconds for about :53 seconds.

My legs should be pretty fresh. I took off Friday entirely and yesterday I warmed up a mile, did 2 200s in about :29/:30 and 2 150s in :19/:20 just to simulate race pace. Well, in the case of the 200 I simulated the race pace for the first 200 for my 800. In the case of the 150s, I was trying to feel out my pace for the 400 leg should I run it. I cooled down 800.

Well, today is showdown day. There are four guys who have run faster than I have and an additional two guys who are right on my shoulder. I will likely be in the hot heat. My goal is to run my race. I can't go out too hard or if I do I should not panic. I need to keep fellow teammates Kevin and Scott close by. Well, actually Scott more than Kevin because Kevin may be in a league of his own. He could very well break 2:00. Newcomer to the group, Nick Berra, will prove to be formidable. Of course Kyle Lanier will be tough. But...

I will be tough, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment