Sunday, January 22, 2023

wanted to be a bit more relaxed

Sun, 1/22/23-

What a surprise it was to see our teammate and friend, Rob S., return to action. While he wasn't able to join either workout on track, preferring instead to be conservative and do his own thing, it was terrific to see him!

I was uncertain about today's workout, but I knew it wouldn't make sense for me to go too hard since I had just competed yesterday. I eventually decided it would be good to have John and Andrew do some 300s in 48, with me doing 200s alongside them.  

The main event was 5x300 (down from a proposed six) in 48/49, with a 4:00 rest between efforts to build strength. I'd take them to the 200m mark in 32.

Effort 1: 32-mid; John and Andrew were 49 and 51, respectively.

Effort 2: 32-low; John and Andrew were 49 and 51, respectively.

Effort 3: 31-high; John and Andrew were 50 and 52, respectively.

Effort 4: I hit 49-low; John and Andrew were 50 and 52, respectively.

Effort 5: I hit 47-high; Andrew and John were 50 and 52, respectively.


Sat, 1/21/23-

Davirah dropped me off at Ursinus at 11:00 for the Collegeville Invitational. After settling in for a few minutes, I began my warm-up. I jogged about 300m to the outdoor track out back, did 2 laps in lane 4, and jogged back. It was close to a mile. I checked in for the 400m. I was assigned heat 3, lane 4. The heat was full at six. When we were up, I saw the doubters looking at me in suspense, perhaps anticipating a woeful attempt. Instead, they saw me run a competitive race, though not swift. I found myself in fourth place at the break, and I just held over the second 200 for a modest 58.55. I was disappointed for sure, but then I felt better when I remembered that the time translates to 57.6x/57.7x on the banked track. This would be a slight improvement over my mark at The Armory last month. Even so, I was hoping for me. But what else is new? A while later, I'd compete in the 200m. As with the 400, the meet was running about 15 minutes ahead. It didn't matter; I was prepared. Finding myself again in lane 4, I was ready to run a smart race against four guys (there was no one in lane 5). I had surmised that I was too tight in the 400 and wanted to be a bit more relaxed over the 200. When the gun sounded, I got out well but wasn't able to make up ANY ground on the Neumann freshman from South Jersey on my outside. Coming onto the homestretch, I was overtaken by the two guys I was even with and crossed the line in 26.65. When translated onto a banked track, we're talking 26.2x.

No comments:

Post a Comment