Saturday, July 23, 2022

gnawing ping of regret

Sat, July 22-

Went to Kings College to compete in the PA Senior Games. My main motivation to enter this meet was to be eligible for next year's National Senior Games in Pittsburgh. 

It was a scorcher, only in terms of the temperature, not inclusive of race performance. 90-95 degrees with minimal shade.

At about 100 miles away from Philly, it took me 1 hour, 20 minutes to get there. Keith and Chuck S. were there, along with Chuck K., who was heading out as I arrived; he had sustained an injury. There was another guy there with a GPTC singlet on who I didn't know.

At any rate, I found myself in heat 5/lane 5 in the 100, which I won pretty easily in 13.24 into a noticeable headwind. Admittedly, even though I wasn't going at full throttle, I was a disappointed when I saw the time. I scarcely thought it read 12.34. A while later I had the same gnawing ping of regret after I ran the 400 in 60.40. Out of lane 5 with no starting blocks, I won the race by several seconds, but I was still irritated. My goal was to run a smooth race of 28/30 for a sub-60. I looked down at my watch at the 200 and saw 28. The headwind on the homestretch was stronger than I had anticipated, I guess.

The 200 was scheduled for a couple of hours later. Noticing the a storm was afoot, the officials announced that the 200 would commence much earlier than expected, just 45 minutes after the 400m and prior to the 5K power walk. However, when we began to gather for the 200, the officials announced a 30-minute delay in competition due to thunder in the area. At that point, Chuck and Keith, who were already finished for the day, told me they were headed to the restaurant across the street for beers and invited me to join. I sat in my car for a bit to see if the weather would resolve, then remembered that I had done what I had set out to do: post a time to be eligible for next year's National Senior Games. I then headed across the street. It was beer time!


Fri, July 21, 2022-

Went to track. Warmed up, then did 4 x 50 in 7 sec.


Thurs, July 20, 2022-

Went to the track. Did 4x150 in 21/22 and 4x100 in 14.


Wed, July 19, 2022

Did a couple of miles on the road, then headed to the track to stretch.


Tues, July 18, 2022

Went to the track. Did 4x150 in 21/22 and 4x100 in 14.


Mon, July 17, 2022

Did a couple of miles on the road, then headed to the track to stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment