Thursday, November 22, 2018

admitting to myself I had failed

Thurs, 11/22-Somerville Turkey Trot. I arrived a bit before 8:00 AM on this blistery, 22-degree morning.  After registering, I jogged most of the course (2.3/2.4M).  I then stretched a bit, mainly in my car, but not too much.  Icy Hot was helpful, as were my two pairs of long tights, gloves, and hat.  The race went off promptly, 600+ of us in tow.  I tried not to go out like gangbusters, especially since the first third of the first mile was uphill.  I didn't want to blow out my legs!  Like last year, a half-mile in, I found myself among the top 10 runners. At the mile mark, I was in seventh place. It was at this point that I discovered I was running well below my target pace. Seeing 5:50s, I then became terribly discouraged. While on Southside Ave., I started hearing the demons: stop, stop, stop. 

I was running stride for stride with another runner. We turned onto Nimitz, and moments later I stopped. I stayed put for about a minute, deciding what to do: walk back in shame and return to running in much the same state. After about ten or fifteen people passed me, I decided to give it a whirl, admitting to myself I had failed. I managed to pass several  en route to a 19:30 on the 3.20 course.  The winning time of 16:02 was impressive, as was the relatively close second in 16:15. 

I received my medal for winning my age group and took my butt home!

No comments:

Post a Comment