Saturday, November 24, 2012

Turkey Trot

Saturday, 11/24--Went to Y with Davirah.  Still sore.  Alternated between running and lifting.  6:45 (16 laps/mile track), stretched, 6:30 (track), lifted, 6:22 (treadmill), lifted, 5:58 (track), lifted, 5:40 (treadmill), stretched.

Friday, 11/23-had planned to do a recovery run on account of being pretty sore after yesterday's 5K, followed by touch football in Havertown.  Wound up spending the day clearing my mother-in-law's house of most of her clothing.  We sort of had a thift shop going with many members of her congregation having their pick of clothing items.  I then delivered the leftovers--12 huge bags worth--to Goodwill.

Thursday, 11/22--left at 6:45 AM and drove to Downingtown West HS.  My car read 28 degrees.  Parked at Kerr Park at about 7:05 or so.  Happened upon John Lavin.  Walked/jogged to stadium--2000 people for the Turkey Trot.  Warmed up on track and surrounding area.  Stretched a bit in restroom, where it was warmer.  Got to the starting line and was overcome by droves.  Had to line up on the margin of the starting area.  Gun went off and I had to wait a few seconds to situate myself for a safe exit from what could've been a pile-up.  I got myself going and, within a minute, found myself on Ryan Comstock's heels.  I had passed Lavin and Rachel McGinnis.  I was on my way.  I tried to stay relaxed and to maintain my cadence.  I realized that I was on pace to run about 17:00, that is, until I feel asleep during mile 2.  By this time, I had let Comstock and Rachel get too far ahead me--7-8 seconds.  I checked my watch saw that I was 8:25 into the race and probably halfway through the course.  I tried to maintain but felt myself falling off the pace.  With about 1K to go I started pushing myself to pick off a few runners ahead of me.  I managed to get 3-4 of them, including DJ's former teammate, Peter Kelmartin.  I was relaxed during the final push to the finish line.  I finished in a pedestrian 17:33.  I thought I had run a bit faster and most certainly wish I could've broken 17:00.  I wasn't dead afterwards, though.  As it turned out, I won my age group.  I didn't find this out until later, as I had to leave the venue for a football game in Havertown.  The game was fun as usual, and I had a few good catches.  I'm so sore, though, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment