Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the satisfaction I so desperately need

When I showed up at WC Henderson HS at 5:45AM today, I thought that just maybe I would feel the bounce I needed to get myself back in gear.  It would never come.

I arrived later than usual.  As I jogged around the track gingerly, I heard someone mention that today was the mile time trial.  I then remember it was this time last year that I did a time trial, running close to 5:00.  I continued to jogged, knowing that I would not be ready by the time they hit the starting line.  Forget about the reality that my hamstring would prevent me from participating anyway.  It's funny how life works.  I hemmed and hawed about whether I should bring my racing flats with me to Henderson.  I opted against it, figuring that I would do little that would require them.  As it turned out, today would have otherwise been a good day to bring them.  However, bringing them would have seduced me into running the time trial for which I am not ready.  So, I just jogged and cheered on my fellow athletes, who are so dedicated to run hard at 6AM week in and week out!  John Manion and younger John would break 5:00, with the help of Scott Burns who was their rabbit through 3 laps.  John Callahan would run 5:10 or so, and Barry 5:22.  I am missing plenty others.  In fact, there were two heats: one for plus-6:00 and one for sub-6:00.

All I could do was watch and stretch tight, sluggish legs.  Afterwards the crew ran 4x200.  I tried one on my own and ran 40 seconds!  Holy crap!  I felt like I was going at 33-second pace!  I have lost more than a step; I have lost a staircase.  And my season is on the line.

I just hope the workout this Saturday brings me the satisfaction I so desperately need.
Played tennis in the evening against Rich G.  Had a good 1st set.  Bombed sets 2 and 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment