Sunday, September 11, 2011

Commit to the Race or Else!

Sunday, 9/11--personal, introspective, contemplative run in honor of the victims of the attacks on 9/11 and continuing campaign against terrorism.

I hit the road and did the 11.4-11.5M in 80:00 at about 7:00 pace, which is faster than my long run training pace. I ran through the Rustin site and down to Goose Creek Park, did three laps and headed back the way I came. I made my way to the stop sign next to my house, reaching there in 41:00 (30 seconds faster than the last time) and turned around to do another 5.75. I began with a 7:20 mile and never looked back. Most of the run was probably in the 7:05 range, but the last mile was well under 7:00...around 6:25. I know because there was 1 mile to go and the watch read 73:35, and I finished in 80:00. 41:00/39:00; 7:07-7:10 average pace for first loop, and 6:45-6:50 average pace for the second loop...thanks to the last mile of 6:25. When I take out the last mile, the average pace for the second loop is 6:50-6:55. Good run!

Saturday, 9/10--easy run of only 3.7 in 25:55. This was 7:00 pace in the ugly humidity...even at 7:30 in the morning. I had to cut the easy run short by .3 because my wife had arranged for me to have a massage at a swanky spa. I wasn't going to be late at $120/hour plus tip.

Friday, 9/9--Teri's Run. Scheduled for 7 PM on a Friday night, this is always a fun run with a family atmosphere...in the Downingtown, PA spirit. DJ and I got there at a bit after 6:00 and met up with my buddy Justin pretty immediately. We also touched base with a few of my WC Racing Club comrads. We warmed up a loop around the course and began stretching. For whatever reason, I was a little leisurely in my warm up. I was not sure this was my way of relaxing or not commiting myself entirely to stave off (inevitable) disappointment. At any rate, we made our way to the starting line when it was time. Before I knew it, the gun was off. I was surprised to see DJ and Justin dash ahead of me less than a half-mile into the race. I guess they were trying to avoid the crowd. I overtook them a minute or two later before reaching the left turn. I found myself in the company of Ed and John Manion. I could see that the other John was at least 15 seconds ahead of me. I was awfully surprised to see 5:39 at the mile mark (my records indicate I was at or below 5:30 last year), considering I was hoping to hit 5:25. Then I started to worry: this race sucks and I am not going to reach my goal, so stop trying; what's wrong with me because I thought I was in better shape than I was last year and would 10-15 seconds faster at the mile mark; will I be able to mentally deal with this early race setback. I found myself easing into the pace but not being overly aggressive or aggressive at all actually. I started getting those ugly thoughts in my head like I did last year. I got to the turnaround point--halfway--at 8:50 (my records indicate I hit 8:30 last year). I saw DJ and Justin after I made my turn and cheered them on them. Then, the ugly thoughts seemed to disappear. I found myself pacing off Ed and realized that, although he usually outperforms me on Tuesday morning, he was struggling on this day. With about .75M to go, I overtook Ed. I could sense his and others' footsteps. With about a half-mile to go, a runner--a girl--came upon me. Though a bit sexist, it was then that I realized I was not moving very fast. I was not going to let her get me. She and I went stride for stride for a 1/4.  Turning left onto the final 250 meter stretch, she had a slight advantage. I went to my arms and pulled ahead of her and two others. I stopped at the finish line as opposed to running through it, so the girl came into the chute with me. I still got the win, not that it means much. I wound up winning my age group with a pedestrian time of 18:02. In the absence of the humidity I think I could have run in the low 17:00-range. The race was less competitive this year's and with a far fewer number of people. I guess the humidity scared them away. I got 30th last year with a faster time than the 17th this year with a slower one. My lesson: commit to the race or else. Shut up and Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment