Monday, August 2, 2010

Speed Play

Today I did an easy 4.4 in 34:55. Tomorrow I am likely going to do a 5K/tempo.

Yesterday, my son and I did a fartlek: we began with 7:30 of light jogging (warm up), moved into the "speed play," and then ended with about the same amount of light jogging (cool down) for a total of about 46 minutes. The fartlek pattern was systematic, not random, and done over a combination of rolling hills and black top. We ran 15 secs, jogged 15 secs, ran 30 secs, jogged 30, ran 45 secs, jogged 45 secs, ran 60 secs, jogged 60 secs, then started with 15 secs again. We used the Rustin Run course, starting at 7:30 and finishing at 30:00 or so but then added the field hockey field for the remaining minutes. The actual speed play portion of the run was 30 minutes. Both the running and jogging could've been more aggressive. fartlek was moderate for me, but proved a bit challenging for my son. This was about 5.25-5.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment