Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The past 7 Days in Review

4/16--took off

4/15--ran to Y with DJ (28:14), lifted and then ran back (28:14 again). That run is hilly enough. 7.5M

4/14--competed at WCU. I tried my luck at the 100 and 200. The day was generally very nice, somewhere in the upper 60s, I think. I arrived early enough to get in a nice warm up. It was a little disconcerting warming up among the college kids, most of whom are probably exactly half my age. At any rate, I felt a little tight but not enough to put my race on the shelf. For the 100, I was in lane 3 in the 4th of 4 heats. There were six runners in my heat, one--Gary (of TNT)--a masters runner in his 50s. I got out as well as I could, given my lack of practice. Though my drive phase was nonexistent, I felt reasonably well throughout the race. I finished up thinking I had run faster. As it turned out, I ran 12.2 ht or 12.43 FAT, a bummer. I had planned to make it up in the 200. Some of the same cats were in the 200. I was in lane 5 in heat 3 of 3. There was someone to my outside and 3 or 4 to my inside. Given that I ate up the Widener kid to my outside by the 50 meter mark, I thought I had gotten out well and was in for a strong time. I reached the straightaway and was tied for the lead with someone from Gloucester Comm. Coll. I went stride-for-stride with him for the next 50 meters until he overtook me with about 50m to go. My son timed me in 24.10, so I figured that perhaps I had run in the mid to high 24 range FAT. Boy was I wrong. I ran 24.9 ht, or 25.10 FAT, another bummer. I really expected to run a half-second faster in each race. Really. Perhaps--as I always say--too ambitious. I need to get more speedwork in, because I surely do want to run sub 54 at Penn.

Oh, yeah. My son vows never to time again because he says he sucks at it. I told him not to be too hard on himself; he was 50 meters or so away from me and he probably hit his watch at the sound of the gun, not at the sight of the smoke.

4/13--off

4/12--Rustin loop easy. Practiced handoffs at Penn with my 4x100 teammates: Wayne, Ross and Brandon.

4/11--6x150- 22,21,20,20,19,20,

4/10--Henderson. Did 5x800 (instead of 1 mile, 800, 1 mile, 800, and only if you had it in you, 1 more mile). My times ranged between 2:45 and 2:55.

No comments:

Post a Comment