Saturday, January 8, 2011

A long day.

Saturday, 1/8/11--competition. A long day. Snowing steadily.

got at U of Delaware at 11:20; they were still very much on the sprints events
warmed up and stretched
saw that there were many, many heats remaining and many heats of the next event
hung out with my teammates
saw that the day would drag, as I was getting the indication that I probably would not compete until 2-ish
I was wrong.
2-ish came and went but the heats of the mile did not; there must've been at least 15heats, along with an equal number of called back starts
the same was true of the 400
the gun, timing system, starter and runners were all malfunctioning
i wound up running at 5:20, having sat around all afternoon.
i was in "lane 8" of 10 the third heat of the open/masters division
there were some high school runners in in my heat, as out-of-state high school students were made to run in the open division with us older guys
the gun went off
the youngsters shot out and i found myself near the rear of the pack almost immediately and definitely as we broke the cones at the 150 mark
i am sure the front runner reached the 200 in 27/28 sec; i hit 30/31
on the second lap we were all strung out over a 30 meter stretch, but everyone seemed to settle down a bit
i felt myself cutting into the distance between me and the 6-7 runners in front of me
i reached the 400 in 62
i told myself that i needed to begin to surge a little
so i tried on the back stretch and could not pass the guy in front of me before the turn
i hit the 600 mark in 1:34/35
felt teammate Dave Brown pull even with me on the back stretch
i responded and started to move with him
but could not pass a guy and got boxed in as i tried to take thw inside
came to a near stop, as the guy slowed up terribly
i was forced to take the outside after recovering
then made a dash for the finish in 2:09
last lap was set to be in :32, but it would be :34 instead
feel i could have gone 2:07
i am ready
if only this weather would cooperate


Friday, 1/7/11--off

Thursday, 1/6/11--Borough run in reverse. 7.9. 55:30

Wed, 1/5/11--2.2 easy

No comments:

Post a Comment