Friday, November 26, 2021

Somerville Turkey Trot

Friday, 11/26/21-Happy Anniversary! 

Went to the Y with V for a recovery session.

Treadmill...1.5M (12:40)

Stretch (4:00)

Treadmill...1.5M (12:40)

Lifting (5:00)

Ab exercises 

All done.


Thursday, 11/25/21-

Somerville Turkey Trot. I arrived a bit after 8:00 AM on this 35-degree morning.  After getting my bib number, I jogged two miles on and off the course.  I then stretched a bit, but not too much.  Icy Hot was helpful, as were my long tights, gloves, and hat.  The race went off promptly, 778 of us in tow.  I tried not to go out like gangbusters, especially since the first stretch is uphill.  I didn't want to blow out my legs!  A half-mile in, I found myself among the top 10 runners. I got passed by a few guys and now found myself sitting in 15th place.  I traded positions once or twice with a couple of people, reaching the mile mark in 6:04. I jockeyed back and forth some more over the second mile. I hit the 2-mile man in 12:17, covering the second mile in 6:13. With a mile to go, I tried not to wane.  In fact, I took a slight hill pretty aggressively to gap a runner right off my shoulder.  It was then that I was trying to decide if the two runners in front of me were within reach. Making a left onto Main Street, I realized I could reach neither.  I couldn't even close the gap between us. About 200 meters from Veterans Memorial Drive, my watched notified me I had reached the 3M mark, covering the third mile in 6:08. The time was now 18:25. As I approached Veterans Memorial Drive, I could see 3.1M reach across my watch as the clocked reached for 18:59. I covered the 3.15M course in 19:17 for 13th place overall, first in my age group.  The winning time of 17:24 was impressive, as was second in 17:36.


No comments:

Post a Comment