Wednesday, January 1, 2020

NOT AGAIN!

Wed, 1/1-Went to the Y, biked 4 miles, and did a few hamstring exercises.

Tues, 12/31-Went to the Y, biked 4 miles, and lifted a little.

Mon, 12/30

Wayne and Bruce met at my house to pick me up at about 3:30, so that we could head to The Armory for Sprint Night,

Our goal was to arrive at the venue at 5:00, as the 60m hurdles was scheduled for 6:00, with Wayne's 60m right after. When we arrived, we met up with several of our other teammates, some trickling in hours later. All told, there were about 10 of us (Chuck S., John Curtis, Phil L., Ross, Jacques L., newcomer Rob Ciervo, in addition to the ones named above).

Preregistered, I checked in, and then I checked my name on the competitors' sheets to declare my intention to run both the 400 and 200.

I sat around for a while and then decided to warm up. I stretched for a while as the 60mh and 60m were being contested. With a few minutes before the start of the women's 400, I decided to do some strides and sprints.

I felt pretty good!

When I checked in, I saw that I was in lane 2 in heat 8. John Curtis was in lane 5. 

The gun went off, and I was out pretty well. As I heard the announcer call my name, I ran with confidence, at least over the first 200, timed in 26.18. I led the race through about 330m. On account of a weak last 100 meters, I was passed by one runner with 60 meters to go and another with five meters to go. My last 100 must've been 16 seconds! My overall splits were 26.18/30.77 for 56.97.




While I was able to walk off the run, I was disappointed.

But it was onto the 200. I would have lane 2 again, this time heat 12, with Jacque, John and Ross to my outside. 

As the gun went off, I felt flat. I felt my right hamstring pinch me 50 or so meters into the race. Caught by surprised, I thought I was mistaken. As I slowed, I knew I had not made a mistake. I pulled up on the backstretch, at the 75-meter mark. I had injured my hamstring again...for real, a repeat of last year's debacle. I was a DNF...again! NOT AGAIN!

Sun, 12/29-went to the Y, warmed up, stretched.

Sat, 12/28-went to the Y, warmed up, stretched.




No comments:

Post a Comment