Monday, July 1, 2024

Kean University (2024 Mid-Atlantic Outdoor Championships)

Mon, 7/1/24-Welcome to the first day of the Saturday of summer!

Recovery run: 3.5M in 29:25 (M1 ~9:15, M2 ~8:25, M3 ~8:00, M4 pace ~7:30...3:45). Left knee and especially my right hamstring are bothering me.

Sun, 6/30/24

Left Hillsborough at 9:40 in order to arrive at Kean University (Mid-Atlantic Championships) at 10:30, believing that my 400m scheduled for 11:30 would go off on time. Not. On this humid 85+ degree but windy day, I was seeking season bests in both the 400 and 200. Soon after the 200, I would be on 4x400MR duty for team points.

Even though I learned the meet was running behind by as many as 30 minutes, I grabbed my race bib and started my warm up at 10:45. I wasn't if there would be a race walk, and I wasn't sure about the hurdle situation. At any rate, after warming up I busied myself with chit-chat and drills before grabbing my hip number. 

The race would go off after 12:00. There would be five in our heat. I was assigned lane 4 in our event, 400 meters M50-54. I learned that Mark Williams would be on my immediate inside, in lane 3. Bummer! I had hope to be to his inside. To my immediate right would be teammate John Noon. The race plan was to get out comfortably but not hard, especially given the headwind on the backstretch. When, not if, Mark caught me at about the 200m mark, I would go with him. I got out pretty well. Things felt pretty good, although I was surprised by how sharp the first turn was.  When Mark caught me at 200, I attempted to go with him but there was not much fight in me. Sadly, I ran 58.50, hoping I'd break 57 today...following 57.04 four weeks ago at Monmouth. I was disappointed, walking away like I had just done a workout 400. https://share.icloud.com/photos/01eEkM33HFnZI0Ni1Wbu2QMBg

It was time to set my sights on the 200m, scheduled for 1:15. Since the meet was still running behind, I figured my race would go off at about 2:15. In our 200m M50-54 heat, lanes 1-6 were taken. I would be assigned lane 2, with Ross in lane 4. My race plan was to make up the stagger on the runner in lane 3; he turned out to be faster than I expected. It was then to drive my knees and hold good, relaxed form coming down the homestretch. I pretty much did that. Although the sharp turn was a nuisance, I ran 25.78, my best time since turning 50 a few years back! 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/041IFfmxu19jeEfrMH6PsjmRg

The 4x400MR would go off at about 2:30, a full hour behind schedule. The officials called for the event immediately following the 200. At least I had a total of about 15 minutes' rest, since I would be running anchor on one of the three teams. I told myself I would stride out a 70! When I got the baton from Andrew I had the idea that maybe I could run 65 instead. I saw 3:46 on the clock. Coming off the the first turn, which was sharp, my right hamstring seized up, just shy of a pull. I then slowed down sensibly. I took it easy, crossing the line at 4:58 or something like that.

After helping the team take down the canopy and gathering my stuff, I left at 3:00.

I got home just before 4:00. All is a day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment