Sunday, December 31, 2023

I did not feel as sharp as I should have

12/31/23-Went to Duke Island Park for a recovery run. 3M in 26:30

12/30/23-Sprint Night/Holiday Classic at The Armory. Guy and Wayne met me at my house in NJ at 3:00. (I had spent the night there.) The goal was to leave at 3:15 to get to NYC in plenty of time for the 6:00 start. We would up getting to the parking structure at 4:50. When we entered the venue, the youth meet was still in progress. It would conclude at 5:30.

I hung out with the team for a bit and then jogged a mile at 5:45 and stretched and such. I watched the 60m for a bit and hung out with the crew (John, Daryl, Jeff, Guy, Wayne, Lorraine, Cheryl, Rob Ciervo. Did I miss anyone?). By the time the men's 400 was up, it was going on 7:00. With a seed time of 57.75, I was in lane 4 of heat 5. I was surprised that I wasn't in heat 6, but what was one to do? When the gun went off, I knew I was in for a difficult time. Even in my new spikes, I did not feel as sharp as I should have. I found myself in last place (4th) at the break. I'd come across the 200 in 27.48. I'd cover the second 200 in 30.90, for a final time of 58.39, a disappointment. Last year's time, 57.91, was faster and felt better.

I would collect my thoughts and prepare for the 200. I jogged around a bit as well, trying to keep myself loose. I put on my spikes and made my way over to 60m straightaway for some strides and starts. When it was time, I stepped onto the track. I didn't need to adjust my starting blocks too much. I was in lane 3 of heat 13. (Having Tony Fulton (65) to my immediate outside gave me some motivation.) In fact, I left the pads intact and simply softened the angle placement of the blocks. I got out okay when the gun blasted. 26.43. All in all, it was better than I had hoped. And...I was glad to be back. And...I was glad I didn't sustain an injury! 


No comments:

Post a Comment