Wednesday, July 1, 2015

here would be no doubling over or falling to the ground, writhing in pain.

Tuesday, 6/30-Arrived at 5:10 or so. After signing up for the 100 and 400, I  changed into my competition clothes.  Because of a lighting delay, no one was permitted on the field.  So, I hung out in my car and putzed around a bit.  We were allowed on the track at about 5:40.

I warmed up pretty well for the 100, although I felt little tight.  I felt better after a few 30 meter starts, on and field and on the backstretch of the track.  With a seed time of 12.39, I'd be in heat 4, lane 6.  All lanes were taken.  I got out of the blocks okay, but I did not feel any pop, per se.  I managed to get third in my heat, with a modest time of 12.29.  Fortunately, I was able to see the electronic photo finish on the monitor hanging at the timers' box.

Even though I was tighter than I should have been, I felt okay about the race and began preparing for the 400.  I jogged around a little and talked with my teammates and other runners.  After 14 heats of the 100 and three heats of the mile, the 400 was up.  By this time, my stomach was bothering.  Honestly, I think I had a little gas!  With a seed time of 55.0, I was assigned heat 3, lane 2.  Lanes were loaded; they were all assigned.  There were three teens and three masters level runners: Junior Hyman from TNT TC, Matthew Wallack from Shore AC TC, and me.  Observing the first two heats, I told myself that I needed to reach the opening of the gate into the stands (midway down the homestretch at about the 50 yards line of the football field) in about 45 seconds.

I ran the turn reasonably well and felt a bit of a headwind on the backstretch.  I heard someone say 26 at the 200.  I figured I crossed in 26/27.  I tried to pick up the pace (meaning sustain the pace) into the turn.  I felt myself cutting into the lead of the guy in second place.   I hit the gate opening in 47 seconds (I could see the clock at the finish line).  It took me nine (9) seconds to reach the finish line from there.  Even though my form seemed okay, I hadn't much left in the tank.  My modest 55.84 said as much.  Incidentally, I finished the race and was able to walk away with controlled breathing.  There would be no doubling over or falling to the ground, writhing in pain.

Monday, 6/29-Went to the Westtown School's track at 7:00 for a brief tune-up in preparation for Tuesday night's meet at Germantown Academy.  Felt awful and sluggish one lap into the warmup.  I bagged the tune-up idea altogether, went home and prepared for work.

Sunday, 6/28-Went to the Y.  Did mile/lift/mile/stretch/half-mile/lift/stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment