Sunday, April 20, 2014

The way I see it

4/20-2 Rustin-plus loops 4.3M; 32:50.

4/19-On account of being in Chicago all week, I didn't plan to compete at the Widener Invitational.  Besides, the 4x100 relay squad needed to practice baton exchanges.  After looking at the various time and geographic parameters, I got us organized and then made the call to practice at Swarthmore College.  This worked for everyone, except Nick, who couldn't make it because he wasn't feeling well.  We agreed to meet in time enough to do exchanges at 8:30.  I tried to get there by 7:30 or in order to get in a brief workout before practicing.  Evidently, Rob must've had a similar idea; he arrived moments before I did.

After warming up with Rob, I began my stretching routine.  Chuck then arrived.  Then Wayne.  I was feeling a little tight and stiff.  I still decided to get in a few repeats.  I managed 2x200 in 30.3 and 2x150, one in 20.4, the other in 19.5.  The second 150 is technically about race pace:

19.5
19.5=39.0
14=53.0

However, I would like to lower that to...
19.2
19.3
14=52.5

We were now ready for baton exchanges.  As we were about to begin, Ross showed up.

Wayne handed off to me about 6-8 times, with me taking the baton in my left (argh) and having to switch immediately to my right.  I have trained my body to run with the baton in my right hand.  My takeoff mark hovered between 13' and 14'.  I then practice with Mr. Very Little Warm-up, Ross.  Unlike in previous years when I ran third leg, this year I was running second and Ross was running third.  Our handoffs went pretty well, considering Ross uses neither the "confusing" fly zone nor tape or anything as a marker.

I eventually had to leave at 9:10, leaving Ross and Rob (trustee alternative) to practice.  From what I understand, all went well.

Wayne would make his way to East Stroudsburg to see his son run and to do a little work of his own in the 100.  And boy did he ever!  He posted a 12.07, lowering my record by .03.  It was a near-perfect day.  I am now wondering whether I should have made that trip to Widener.  I sure hope there will be other near-windless days.   I'd like to have a good shot at breaking 12.00 in the 100 and 24.00 in the 200.  The way I see it, I have 1-2 more months before I transition back into 800 meter training and 3 months before I transition to longer distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment