Tuesday, March 5, 2019

JDL Fast Track

Monday, 3/4-Took day off. En route home....after a canceled flight the night before.

Sunday, 3/3-Today was my "tough" day. I had a pretty good warmup, but I was not feeling my best. With only five in my heat, we did a waterfall start. I was next to Mark Williams.  Mark exploded at the gun. I was relaxed and figured I'd play things by ear, knowing I was in no shape for a terrific race. I hit 32-low at the 200.  As I hit the 400-meter mark, I saw 65.  Mark crossed in 58.xx seconds.  Crazy! I saw 1:38/1:39 at the 600. I was dragging, but I figured I had third in the bag if I could only catch the guy in front of me. Nope. He wound up having a 33-second last lap compared to my worst-ever 36. I could feel myself tire and dropped a 2:15.98, a significant disappointment. I know I'm not in great shape, but I should've been able to crack 2:10.

M45-49 800M

http://finishtiming.trackscoreboard.com/#/results/meet/201900020/event/109/Final

I tried to get over the 800 and made my way, mentally, to the 4x400. The lineup was Chuck K, Brock B., me, and Rob S.  With five teams in the race, I knew it would be a fun one.  After a huge sowing in the pentathlon, we were asking a lot of Chuck K. The same was true of Brock, who competed in the 3000, mile, 4x200, and 800, and Rob, whose knee was barely functional. We were hobbling. Chuck hung in there and tried to keep it close. He handed off about 30-35 meters behind second-place TNT. Brock closed the gap to within about 20-25 meters. In a near repeat of last year's battle with Kyle Lanier, I was less aggressive than I usually am. By the 200 mark, I had come within 15 meters. Coming off the turn and onto the backstretch, I went for it. I pushed to within about 10 meters, and then held to get within seven. I probably posted 56, nothing special. Rob brought it home for us, finishing up with a wince here and there.

M40 4x400

http://finishtiming.trackscoreboard.com/#/results/meet/201900020/event/203/Final

After a tough weekend, I was ready to go home.  I could've done better: I could've won an event! But, I goofed. I hope I haven't missed my window of opportunity. While I was slightly disappointed, I was happy to have had the time to spend doing what I love with some of my favorite guys!

Saturday, 3/2-Today was more of a relaxed day.  After stopping by to see some 60m dash action (Wayne did very well), I headed back to the hotel room to hang out.

I was excited for the non-club 4x200 (Baynes, Dinkins Sr, Butler, Schwartz). Andre form Mass Velocity would lead off, I'd run second, Brock third, and Rob fourth. We were in a four-team race, although we were the only team in the 40-44 age group, thanks to Brock, the youngster. Andre handed me the baton in third. I stumbled out into lane 5, on account of overcompensating for my lane violation in the 400 the day before. "Good sport Brock" and Rob brought it home 1:46.39, about what I expected.

M40 Non-Club 4x200

http://finishtiming.trackscoreboard.com/#/results/meet/201900020/event/302/Final

Friday, 3/1--I had a nice breakfast.

Today was my 400 day. I had lane 4, the one I wanted. To my left was George Joachim; to my right were Jason Rhodes and Mark Williams. I figured I'd catch Jason on take the backstretch. I wouldn't repeat the mistake I made last year when Mark got out hard and I got out too slow. I found myself pulling even with Jason pretty easily. Thus, I thought I was moving well. I was in the lead before the breakpoint and in control of the race thereafter. I could feel Mark try to pass on the outside at the 200; I held him off. The same was true on the backstretch. Coming up the homestretch I started to press. I tightened up, and George from Southwest took both Mark and me at the line. I could've, and should've, won the race, particularly given the time. My 56.22 will never do!

M45-49 400M

http://finishtiming.trackscoreboard.com/#/results/meet/201900020/event/97/Final

No comments:

Post a Comment