Saturday, September 23, 2017

Comfortably hard

Sat, 9/23-Went to Duke Island Park with V, knowing I have a race there next weekend.

On tap today was a 6-6.5M run, 20 min of it tempo.

Did an easy preview of the course, the middle portion of it with V.  I covered more than 3.1M on the preview loop, on account of two things: 1) I made two wrong turns, and 2) the course measured a little long.  Then did a second loop, at tempo.  The tempo pace was designed to be 30 seconds per mile slower than recent 5K race pace or 40 seconds per mile slower than 5K goal pace.  Comfortably hard, tempo pace is supposed to be a pace I could hold for an hour. So some say.

Mile 1: 6:20
Finished up 3.13M in 19:34... 6:15/mile pace.

I am not sure I could hold 6:15 pace for an hour.  Maybe I ran too fast.

Per Jason Fitzgerald, "If you run any faster, you won’t be able to clear that lactate and you’ll be running beyond your threshold. You’ll then experience the familiar burning sensation of acidic muscles and fatigue that is felt at the end of a short, hard race. The goal then is to straddle the lactate threshold and not run any faster."  http://strengthrunning.com/2016/04/a-step-by-step-guide-to-tempo-runs/

A tool I have used is the train pace calculator: http://www.chicagoendurancesports.com/runcalc.htm.


No comments:

Post a Comment