Friday, August 26, 2011

If he only knew...

Thurs, 8/25

Met up with the crew at the country club parking lot as usual. Got there later than I had hoped. At least they had not yet left. Nice group of about 15 today. Decided to do the roughly 7.9M "Borough run" in reverse, as we've done many times before. Within the first mile or so several of us (Ed, John, John, Scott Burns, and I) had broken off from the rest. We were moving along at training pace...somewhere around 7:15/M is my guess. At about the 2.5M mark, as we turned outside of North Hills, John suggested that we pick up the pace until Rosedale (specifically until we nearly reached the corner of Rosedale and New Streets as it would turn out). I assumed this would be a 3-mile or so stretch. The first of the three miles was run in 6:38 pace; the second 6:31; the third 6:21. We then took the final 2.4M easy. The 7.9M route was run in 54:20, or at 6:53 pace. I felt really good during the first pick-up mile, seeming strong and with lots of good arm action. I continued working during the second mile. The third mile was mentally challenging. I hadn't done a pick-up like this in quite some time, but I needed to. I'd fall back by five meters, but then surge and pull even with the group. With .15 to go--at the High and Rosedale Streets light--I backed off a little. I finished within 5-10 meters, so I was okay with that. I had to gather myself for the 2.4M remaining. I initially moved at a slower pace, but then picked it up and finished up the last mile positively and with the group. It was encouraging to hear Scott remark that my run was a good one, that I looked strong. I'll take that, but if he only knew...

No comments:

Post a Comment